Hi! I'm Zahra, your Vice President for Diversity and Wellbeing...
My pronouns are she/they and I am going into my second year of HND Advertising and PR.
I like to read up as much as I can, understand how institutions works and how to utilise my position, in any role, for the benefit of my community. I tried to learn how to roller skate and play the mandolin during lockdown, I didn’t really manage to learn either of those but they look cute in my living room for now... Unless someone is willing to teach me!
I am a super easy to approach! Please do come say hi, or fire me an email to tell me about your college experience and I’ll do what I can to support, advocate and improve your student experience this year. I’m here to listen to you and ensure your voice is heard.
My role at the college is to make sure all students from all backgrounds are represented in a fair and equal manner, to ensure the college has systems and support in place to ensure we collectively have the best college experience. I am a firm believer in collaborative working, unions and mental health support. No one gets left behind!
My aims for this year are to:
- Alleviate anxieties experienced by students returning to campus post Covid
- Outreach work in the face of digital poverty faced by many students, ensuring everyone has access to the tools needed to complete their course
- Have weekly wellbeing check ins with students
- Encouraging local community links for students to build up their networks in and out of college
- Represent the LGBTQIA2+ community and raise awareness of the issues facing us
- Represent students from BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour) / BGM (Black and Global majority) Backgrounds
- Represent Mature Students, Disabled, Neurodivergent, Estranged, Care Experienced students and those with additional support needs
- Support the presidential team in their campaigns
I hope you are all as excited as I am to get involved in campaigns this year that will address these issues! My first campaign will be to alleviate the anxieties of students returning to campus, and how better to engage with distance learning.
I hope you come and engage with the Student Association this year and have a great time at college.
Let’s work proactively, not reactively!