Fit in February is a 4 week fun and exciting challenge to keep yourself active outdoors, by walking, hiking, running, wheeling or cycling. As a staff member or student, participating in the challenge will involve teams of 3, embarking on a journey to help us complete all 5,500 miles of the Andes Mountains in South America (virtually of course!) The challenge will begin on Monday 1st of February, and conclude on Sunday 28th of February.
In your teams of 3, select 1 person who will register your team on this online google form. Before filling out, a couple of the areas you will need to consider with your teammates are to establish a team name, and then have a think on how your team will contribute your miles across the challenge. Even if you are wheeling, walking or hiking, please ensure you choose the 'run' icon on the app.
To join in, it’s really simple. Each participant should download the FREE Strava app and then register an account.
then request to join the City of Glasgow College Strava Group
After that’s done, you can go ahead and get your miles in! It’s important to note that even if you are going on a walk/hike, please ensure you choose the ‘run’ icon, otherwise the miles won’t be added to the leaderboard! For more information, please visit our FAQ page. Make sure you join our Facebook group, to post your photos/videos, following our journey through the ups and downs of the Andes Mountains! Also, you can use the hashtag #FitInFeb on your social media page.
We will pass some jaw dropping locations along the way through utilising the ‘Above Us Only Skies website – a World Travel Blog/Virtual Journey’. We start in Columbia, and make our way through 5 other countries including Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile! The links below will take you to each of these locations in a diary style format, and we hope you find this educational:
- Páramo de Ocetá, Colombia – Start
- San Agustín Archaeological Park, Colombia – 228 miles
- Volcán Cotopaxi, Ecuador - 540 miles
- Laguna Paron, Peru – 799 miles
- Machu Picchu, Peru – 1,235 miles
- Colca Canyon, Peru – 1,440 miles
- Lake Titicaca, Bolivia – 1,645 miles
- Laguna Colorada, Bolivia – 2,050 miles
- Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia – 2,435 miles
- Serranía de Hornocal, Argentina – 2,788 miles
- Quebrada de Cafayate, Argentina – 3,177 miles
- Cordellira de Ansilta, Argentina – 3,551 miles
- Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi, Argentina – 4,006 miles
- Volcán Osorno, Chile – 4,172 miles
- Las Capillas de Mármol, Chile – 4,418 miles
- Lago General Carrera, Chile – 4,507 miles
- Mount Fitz Roy, Argentina – 4,873 miles
- Perito Moreno Glacier, Argentina – 5,299 miles
- Parque Nacional Torres Del Paine, Chile – 5,500 miles – the end of our journey!
*Please note the distances above are only approximate estimations*
On the website, you can also utilise the Google Earth feature, which you can download for FREE on your phone or laptop! You should click ‘go there with google earth’ to access the relevant locations on our virtual journey through the mountains!